Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 16: I Love Dogs!

Hello again! First off, I just have to say that I Iove dogs, because it gives me a way to talk to people on the street: just talk about their dogs and pet them! It's the best!

Last week was busy, we had a lot of missionary meetings. On Tuesday we had District Meeting, and I was asked to give a training about Samuel the Lamanite, but we ran out of time before it was time for me to present. Tuesday night we started our mission-wide fast in preparation for the Worldwide Mission Broadcast on Wednesday morning. And the Broadcast on Wednesday morning was great! The general authorities who spoke talked about how we as missionaries need to simply focus on our purpose, and on the fundamentals of missionary work. By doing so, those that we teach will progress towards making and keeping sacred covenants. That evening Elder Morton and I closed our fast in prayer, and broke our fast by eating a HUGE pizza! Yum! 

Friday morning we had Zone Conference at the Mission Office, where President and Sister Hobbs each gave a training. It was my first zone conference, and I learned so much from it! Looking back, I see how the Holy Ghost helped me to get the most out of that conference, and also know what to say when I was asked a question or when I asked a question. For lunch we went to a burger restaurant called 50/50, and the burgers there are nuts: tall, greasy artisan burgers! It was funny to observe that everyone else was watching the sports games on the TV's and drinking alcohol, while us four missionaries were content on sipping our glasses of water and talking to each other haha. 

Saturday we taught a lesson our investigator Adrienne. We taught her the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom, and the lesson went well; she's been keeping all her commitments and reading the Book of Mormon. While studying the Word of Wisdom in preparation for the lesson, I came to a realization of the importance of obeying this commandment, and why it was given to us. Of course, growing up in the church I knew the typical answers for why we have this commandment, what it is, and how to keep it, but I never really took it to heart until studying it. I suddenly had a desire to better in obeying this commandment, so Elder Morton and I both set a goal for this transfer of working out every day (except Sunday of course), eating healthier, and staying hydrated. I have already felt a difference in my daily life; overall I just feel so much...better! This morning we pumped some iron, and I feel great today so far! Elder Richard G. Scott promised us that as we maintain our bodies by exercising and living a healthy lifestyle, we will be able to receive more revelation that can help us. The Holy Ghost will also be more strongly with us. I testify of the truthfulness of his words. 

Saturday night I fervently prayed that two of our young investigators and their less-active mother would come to church, and sure enough, they showed up to church and stayed for all three meetings! They all said they had a good time at church!

I have been learning so much while on my mission, and my daily life has been so much better because I have been praying every morning and night on my knees, as well as studying the Book of Mormon. I am able to communicate effectively with those I talk to, I feel a greater abundance of love from our Heavenly Father, and there is practically no contention with anyone I interact with. Amazing! I may not understand everything, but I do know that the Book of Mormon in true, that Jesus is the Christ, and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet chosen by our loving Heavenly Father to restore the fullness of the Gospel to the earth. I challenge you all to study the Book of Mormon, and to pray to know if it is true. Even though you might already be a member of the Church, you are not exempt from reading the Book of Mormon, studying the scriptures, and praying to know if what you read is true. Studying and praying are the basis for one's testimony, and it is essential to continue to build and fortify that testimony. I cannot even describe how much better your life will be, I hope you can experience this joy!

Have a great week, and I'll talk to you next Monday!

Elder Ruiz
Elder Morton and I cruisin the streets with some funny glasses we found!

Strange foggy day a week or two ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment