Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 17: Michael the Archangel

Bonjour! Welcome to the new month of February! 

This past week was filled with good things, too much to talk about in this one email haha, so I'll have to take out the best parts. 
Our investigator Adrienne is progressing like none other; she accepts all the commitments we give her, and she continues to read the Book of Mormon, it's crazy how fast we've been going through the lessons with her! 

In terms of weather, it got warm REALLY fast as the week went by, until it got cloudy on Saturday, and on Sunday it was like a mini Hurricane Katrina: fierce winds and heavy rain! Thankfully we were in church for most of the storm, so we missed the worst of it.

On Thursday I was on exchanges with my district leader Elder Cannon in my area, and since he's a Spanish-speaking missionary I a few opportunities while we were out on the streets to see him talk to people in Spanish. It was funny to see their reaction to him talking because they probably weren't expecting a white kid from Washington state to speak clear Spanish, so for a moment they almost looked perplexed to see him speaking Spanish haha.

 On Saturday Elder Morton and I talked to Michael the Archangel that we met at the library. Seriously, we really did talk to a man whose name is Michael, and calls himself Saint Michael the Archangel. He kept offering us his "antidote" that, with the power of God,  can heal any ailment, disease, cancer or medical disorder. He also holds a towel on one side of his face because he thinks that there are poisonous gases that come out from the cracks in the sidewalk and damage your skin. He said that ever since he started taking the antidote every day, he hasn't gone to the dentist for 6 years (and believe me when I say that you can tell he hasn't gone to the dentist in a long time!), and because he told us about his antidote there would be assassins that would be sent to take us out.....wow.  At first his proposal seemed too far fetched, and I thought that he was trying to sell us drugs, and I didn't believe him the whole time, especially when he said, "As soon as you stick this stuff on your tongue, you'll feel happy immediately!" But when he actually showed us his "antidote" it was actually just a pouch of natural tea haha. So I accepted his antidote, and once we were out of sight I threw the pouch away. I'm glad we got out of there when we did haha, it was crazy! Nice guy, but I'm not interested.

We contacted a referral named Jose who's obsessed with the Bible. He used to be deep into drugs and alcohol apparently, but now he's over that and he wants to give himself to God. We'll see how the lessons go with him as time goes on...

Well, there's Southern California for you haha, very diverse, and a good learning experience for anyone, I love it here! I love the people in our ward! They are so Christlike; they do everything they can to make sure they are able to attend sacrament meeting every Sunday and renew their covenants by partaking of the sacrament. I hope you value and see the importance of attending church, particularly sacrament meeting. It is there that we can be spiritually refueled. Love everyone, even if you don't know them. I didn't know Michael, but I was friendly to him and had a good conversation with him, it was great!

I love you all, enjoy this new month and make the most of it!


Elder Ruiz

No comments:

Post a Comment