Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 19: My Funny Valentine

Hello everybody! Before I start talking about how my week went, I want to share something that really stuck out to me that I read in one of my best friend's weekly letter, in which he was talking about forgiveness: 
"Don't take offence. Forgive people. When you don't forgive, you're just denying yourself blessings." Please people, take this to heart. We all say we should try and be like Christ, and this is probably one of the BEST ways to be like him! I remember someone telling me that holding resentment or a grudge against someone is like you drinking some poison and thinking that it will kill the person you resent. Bottom line: it's not worth it. There's no progression. Negative feelings are not of God, but of Lucifer, who tricks us into thinking that it is better to be mad, angry, etc.  Now about how last week went: Monday was preparation day, and we received a referral who had requested a Bible. Unfortunately by the end of the week we were never able to make contact with him after several attempts to contact him at his house and by phone.  Tuesday was zone meeting, and boy was it REALLY good! All of the trainings that were given were great; I got a lot out of them. One thing that stuck out to me from the meeting was that an elder said "Wisdom is the application of knowledge." and we were challenged to improve in one area of our lives over the next week.  Thursday night Elder Morton and I were able to have a pleasant visit with a less-active in our ward, Carlos. While talking to Carlos, his wife, who I previously never had the chance to talk to (I think she tries to avoid us because she's Catholic) came to the living room and sat down with the three of us, and we had a wonderful discussion! We were able to teach clarify some doctrinal questions she had about the church, and we basically taught the entire first lesson on the Restoration! Everything we taught was almost practically new information for Carlos since he got baptized 25 years ago and hasn't gone to Church since then, but he easily took in everything we said. They were really receptive to what we taught, and we also invited them to come to stake conference on Sunday! Friday an inactive member of the ward took us to dinner at Sizzler with her nonmember husband; we all had a great time! It was humorous to see everybody giving us weird looks and staring at us because they realized we were LDS missionaries haha! Saturday we finished teaching the last missionary lesson to our investigator Adrienne, and it went really well! We talked about temples and their importance to us as members of the church, and showed her a video called "Nauvoo: A Temple Reborn". Aggghhhhh I love that video so much! I could watch it every day of my life if I had to, because it reminds me of their importance of temples, and how valuable they are (and should be) to me, my family, and my ancestors. Please, I would encourage you to go to the temple at least once a month. In this fast-paced world, we need to be reminded why we are here on this earth, and what the true purpose of life is. By doing so, I promise you will be granted the blessings that you need to be able to do the things the Lord would have you do. True happiness is found when our will is in line with His will.   We were blessed with a tender mercy! We were able to visit an inactive member of the ward, who, for once, was actually home! And the best part was that his nonmember girlfriend was there! He really likes the missionaries, and has a lot of respect for what we do every day on our missions.  Sunday was Stake Conference, and we participated in a regional broadcast from Church headquarters in Salt Lake to members of the Church in Hawaii, Alaska, and the Pacific coast. It was INCREDIBLE! The general authorities that spoke truly are called of God, I know that to be true. Three things that were repeatedly brought up and emphasized was prayer, scripture study, and church attendance. A scripture that was quoted by Elder C Scott Grow of the Seventy was D&C 29:17, which says "...My blood shall not cleanse them if they hear me not..." And what does He want us to hear? Him and his words. And where can we find His words? In the scriptures!  It is not simply important to study the scriptures, it is a commandment! I cannot even describe the blessings that come from studying the scriptures and the words of the prophets. Scripture study truly has wrought a change upon me for the better, and I know it can for you to! The Church is true everyone! Don't be afraid to stand up and defend that! We are so blessed to be members of the Church in these latter days. Feast upon the words of Christ, pray individually and as a family, and attend Church every Sunday. I can promise you that you will find true peace and joy by following these three simple principles than from anything else in the world.  I love you all, and pray for you daily. Thank you for the influence you have had in my life; because of you I have been able to learn and become a better person. Do the right thing! Choose the right!  Elder Ruiz
Zone picture!

Back alley of downtown Chino

No comments:

Post a Comment