Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Week 61: Ho Ho Ho, Ho Ho Ho!

Happy Holidays everyone!

This past week was busy busy busy! As district leader I went on exchanges with Elder Rogers in the Mesa Linda Ward in Victorville. We had a great exchange; they have some rock solid recent converts in that ward. There is a lady in their ward who was texting us about how she was struggling to get through her day because she was feeling depressed and lost, feeling  by evil spirits, and she kept on texting us and expressing to us how she is feeling. She was on my mind throughout the day because I was concerned for her, and in the evening she texted us and asked us if we could give her a blessing. The problem though was that we had a teaching appointment with some  progressing investigators set for the same time she was wanting a blessing. Elder Rogers and I both weren't sure how we could work it all out, so we stopped biking and pulled over to the side of the road, took off our helmets and prayed about whether or not we should cancel our appointment so we could give her a blessing. And once we finished our prayer, I was contemplating what we should do when the words of President Monson came to my mind: "Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved." After thinking about those words I had a strong feeling that we should give this lady a blessing, so we contacted the investigators we were going to see that night and rescheduled for the following day, and they were totally cool with it. See, it all works out! So we met up with a male member in the ward and we gave her a blessing; she specifically asked Elder Rogers to anoint her with consecrated oil, and me to seal the anointing and give her a blessing. I cannot completely put into words the feelings that were felt during that blessing, but we could all feel the power of the priesthood as we were gathered together in that blessing. It was a faith-building experience for me. I said specific things that I felt needed to be said in the blessing, and afterwards she thanked me very much for the blessing. She told me that her patriarchal blessing says that priesthood blessing will be a big part of her life, and also that in the blessing we had given her I said things that are in her patriarchal blessing. I was touched, and I was humbled to have had such an influence on her through the things I said in that priesthood blessing. It was in that moment that I truly felt like I was fulfilling my purpose as a missionary and was an instrument in the Lord's hands by helping others.  After the blessing we talked for a bit, and she discussed the trial and problems that she has in her life right now. That is an experience I will never forget. I am so grateful for the restoration of the priesthood and that through the priesthood we have access to the powers of heaven to bless our lives and the lives of everyone around us.

On Saturday we held the baptism of the Varieur family that we have been teaching. There was a good turnout from members of the ward. It was a beautiful baptism, the Spirit was strong there. We confirmed them on Monday and they are all happy. I am so happy for them and I am grateful and honored to have participated in teaching, baptizing, and confirming them. Elder Wedel and I are already planning on coming back here in a year to see them go through the temple as a family! How amazing it is to me to know that Elder Wedel and I helped them make their first few steps to eventually uniting their family for eternity!

Well, transfer calls came on Friday and Elder Wedel was told to pack up his things, then last night we were notified that he will be whitewashing into the Redhill ward in Rancho Cucamonga. I'm gonna miss this hooligan. I am very grateful for the opportunity to have served with Elder Wedel, he is a great guy.

On Sunday we were also told who are new companions will be; I look forward to serving with my new companion Elder Hulterstrom here! But we are no longer in the Victorville Zone, we are now in the Hesperia B zone, the last zone that I served in before I came to Phelan/Oak Hills.
 Now for those of you who don't know, Elder Hulterstrom and I went to the same high school back home and we were in the same stake. He also did a little percussion while I was part of the drum line and we have some common friends. Truly I have no idea as to how we got so lucky to put together as a companionship, but we are both super excited to serve together this transfer. THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!! 

 I love the spirit of Christmas, and how we have the opportunity to think about the Savior more. We had a fantastic ward Christmas Party/Program in the Oak Hills Ward Saturday night. Good Mexican food, and beautiful Christmas hymns and songs sung by members of the ward. I love Christmas; I think I've probably told you that plenty of times before though haha, but I mean it every time! Think of Christ this holiday season, and you will have peace in your heart and mind.

Love ya, I'll talk to you all next week!


Elder Ruiz

From left to right: Me, Scott Varieur, their daughter Scarlett, Elder Wedel, their son Logan, Vanessa Varieur, and Kole Dyerly who baptized Logan. All dressed in white!

Elder Wedel and I, the Varieur's, and the Wrightwood Sisters.

Pictures at the mission office in Rancho Cucamonga.

No comments:

Post a Comment