Monday, October 12, 2015

Week 1: Drinking From a Fire Hydrant!

Well hello everyone, glad I can finally talk to people that are on the other side of this MTC fence haha. I joke with everyone here about how I live within walking distance from the MTC, yet the MTC is so isolated, it's like a whole different world. 

The thought of being a legit missionary still didn't hit me until Thursday or Friday morning, when I was sooooooo exhausted and had to wake up at 6:30 in the morning. I'm used to waking up this early by now though, which is good. The MTC is a lot like high school... except you can never leave (until they say you can)....and you can't flirt with girls...and boys can only give handshakes to girls...and you can't dance. #wow     We're expected to pay attention and absorb everything we're taught here, so I'm trying my best to do so.

 Last week I ran into Sister Noelle Walton at the lunch room, who's going to Russia. We both did marching band together back at Timpview, so it was nice seeing an old friend from school. I was about to give her a gentle pat on the back as a friendly gesture, forgetting that I can't do that. The rules must be REALLY drilled into hear head, because she screamed, and I swear she almost spilled her tray of food. And this was in the middle of the lunch room, so everybody turned around and were just staring at us hahahaha. #awkward 

I've seen a lot of friends from Timpview here at the MTC, including Elders Jonathan Chen, Tanner Kohler, Tommy Taylor, Abe Ogles, and Matt Larsen! I also saw Sister Noelle Walton and Sister Santa Maria (I can't remember her first name haha). I'll try and send pictures in another email today.

My companion is Elder Mclaws from Holbrook, Arizona, and he's going to my same mission as well. A little side note: He's the nephew of my neighbor across the street in Orem, Brother Balden. He's a nice guy, but he has a hard time with comprehension and being able to communicate with people (investigators). But I think there's a reason why I was assigned to be his companion. 

I'm the District Leader! I was called on Thursday, and I felt so inadequate at the time. But being a DL isn't really that hard, I basically just have to make sure that we stick to our schedules, pay attention in class, study, prepare, and teach for investigators, and take inventory on how our district is doing. Our branch president is President Gines, who typically falls asleep during sacrament, but he's a nice guy. 

Anyways, gotta go send off these pictures to you guys before I wash my laundry, talk to you guys next Monday!

-Elder Ruiz

P.S. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MAIL/PACKAGES while I'm here at the MTC!!!!!!!! I haven't received anything except for my itinerary for my flight to California next Monday hahaha. So yeaaaaah, that would seriously make my day. My mailing address is:

Elder Haven Noel Ruiz
OCT19 CA-RC
2007 N 900 E Unit 63
Provo UT 84602

Thanks so much, love you guys!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment