Monday, August 28, 2017

Week 95: The Prodigal Driver License...Has Returned!

I wanted to scream for joy yesterday, buuuuuuuut I couldn't because we were in church haha. Now you may inquire as to why I wanted to scream for joy and do a heel click and backflip into another dimension yesterday? And I'm here to tell you that it's because I FOUND MY DRIVER LICENSE! My prodigal driver license has returned to me!
Yes, with gratitude and a little embarassment I must admit that a few weeks ago I lost my driver license. I looked repeatedly at several places where I though I might have lost it, and I looked through my wallet several times, but to no avail. Without an authorized form of identification, I have no way of being able to fly home after my mission, so I soon started emailing with my mom about renewing my passport and using that instead. I was anxious about what I needed to do, and if there was any other possible way that I could find my license. So I fasted for a day and prayed for God to help me find my license, and if that wasn't His will for me, to at least help me find a way to fly home when the time comes. And so later that day we received a phone call from the mission office, informing me that there was a package for me that was delivered to the mission office and it said "URGENT!" on it. So the next day after our interviews with President Taylor we picked up my "URGENT!" package, and in it was my expired passport and all the paper work I needed to fill out and submit to get a new one. "Cool, thanks Heavenly Father" I thought to myself, thinking that this was an answer to my fasting and praying. I was sad that I still couldn't find my license, but I was grateful that I had some form of identification now rather than none. So, to add to my fasting and prayer, after church yesterday I picked a fast offering slip and began filling it out. Knowing that I needed to write down my Church membership number on the paper slip, I opened up my wallet and thumbed through all the cards to find my temple recommend. I was having difficulty finding that too haha, so I looked in the back of one of the card pockets hoping to find it there. "Oh, here it is!" I said to myself, thinking that I had found my temple recommend. But as I pulled it out, it was like time slowed down, and I looked more closely at the card that I was pulling out. I noticed (imagine this happening in slow motion haha) on it that there were two scanning codes on the side of the card that I saw. "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee heeeeeeeeeeeeeck?????" I thought to myself (in slow motion), remembering that my temple recommend doesn't look like that. So I flipped over the card to look at the other side, and I saw that it was my driver license! I got all excited and I was pumping my fists in the air! That was a true miracle for me! This was another testimony builder to me of the power of fasting, and that it truly can bring about miracles! This has reinforced my belief in God; I am so grateful to Him for answering my prayers. Remember that you are never alone in your experiences in life; you can always draw on the power of God through fasting and prayer. 

Anyways, about last week: We talked to an awesome potential investigator named Dwight and he said he'd bring his family to church on Sunday! Although later on in the week he informed us that they wouldn't make it due to some scheduling conflicts, but he said he'd come this Sunday! We are still working with some less-active members in the ward and they are making progress each in their own way. We've been forming a good friendship with a nonmember family, the Hickernell's, that we tracted into several months ago. They love when we come over, and in fact we had dinner with them last night and they asked us questions about the Church and being a missionary. We asked them about their family history; they said they don't know much and they got bright and excited when we told them we can help them learn more about their ancestors, so immediately we started recording down info of their parents and grandparents! This family may take a while until they are willing to hear the gospel, but family history is a great way to introduce the plan of salvation to someone. Plus their daughter is a musician, and Elder Jeppsen and I got to play her nice guitar and talk about music, it was cool.
We are working with the stake presidency to have a youth "morningside" where we can teach the youth of the stake, during early morning seminary, about how they can share the gospel with people over social media and in person and how they can strike up gospel conversations with others. It's going to be great. 


Gotta go, have a good week!


Elder Ruiz

No comments:

Post a Comment